17,000 RBI staff to go on mass leave today
Around 17,000 employees of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will be on “mass casual leave” on November 19 to demand improvement in pensions and to protest against the Union Government’s move to dilute the central bank’s autonomy.
The strike in the form of mass leave is the first in over six years and threatens to disrupt settlement activities and the bond and foreign-exchange markets.
A walkout staged by RBI employees in 2009 hampered bond trading and agency reports suggest that investors have been informed to be prepared about a similar possible disruption.
However, according to a source, the RBI is trying to ensure that the public is not inconvenienced and will try to run the RTGS facility.
Multiple demands
The United Forum of Reserve Bank Officers and Employees, an umbrella organisation of four recognised unions of officers and workmen in the RBI, proposed to go on a day’s mass leave to protest against the Union government’s alleged moves to take away power from the RBI in the name of the draft financial code and legislative reforms and press for a hike in pension to keep up with rising living costs and wage increases.
RBI staff have been seeking a hike in pension as their basic pension once fixed does not increase. Pending for nearly eight years now, the updation of pension was granted to pre-2002 retirees by the RBI central board and was withdrawn by the Government.
In August, the RBI had said it is reviewing compensation and pensions, as it is losing more junior officers than it “should be comfortable with.”
In its annual report, the banking regulator said: “This is why a revamp of the professional challenges we offer our staff is very much needed…A key factor in RBI’s success has been a satisfied staff.”
Samir Ghosh, General Secretary of the All India Reserve Bank Employees’ Association told PTI: “With the proposed mechanism of Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), the government plans to intervene and themselves decide the monetary policy, which has been the exclusive jurisdiction of RBI so far,” he said.
Further, the Forum termed the government’s intention as curbing the central bank’s activity and intervening into monetary policies.
“The cease-work programme is intended, inter alia, to strongly oppose Government of India's current moves to cripple RBI in the name of the draft financial code and legislative reforms,” the Forum said in a statement recently.
“The Finance Ministry is reportedly giving final shape to shift Government’s debt management functions from RBI to the proposed Public Debt Management Agency (PDMA), which will also henceforth function as a depository of government securities (G-Secs), thus taking away from the RBI some vital operations having relevance to the money market as well,” it added. (Indian Expres)
Category : RBI | Comments : 0 | Hits : 317
Get Free Daily Updates Via e-Mail on Income Tax, Service tax, Excise and Corporate law
- Income Tax Dept serves notices to salaried individuals for documentary proof to claim exemptions
- Bank Branch Audit 2021 - Update on allotment of Branches
- Bank Branch Audit 2020 Updates
- Bank Branch Audit 2021 Updates
- Bank Branch Audit 2020 - Update on Allotment of Branches
- Police Atrocities towards CA in Faridabad - Its Time to be Unite
- Bank Branch Statutory Audit Updates 2019
- Bank Branch Statutory Audit Updates
- Bank Branch Audit 2022 Updates
- Bank Branch Statutory Audit Updates
- NFRA Imposes Monetary penalty of Rs 1 Crore on M/s Dhiraj & Dheeraj
- ICAI notifies earlier announced CA exam dates despite pending legal challenge before SC
- NFRA debars Auditors, imposes Rs 50 lakh penalties for lapses in Brightcom, CMIL cases
- GST Important Update - Enhancement in the GST Portal
- NFRA Slaps Rs 5 lakh Penalty on Audit Firm for lapses in Vikas WSP Audit Case
- CBDT extends due date for filing Form 10A/10AB upto 30th June, 2024
- RBI comes out with FEMA regulations for direct listing on international exchange
- RBI directs payment firms to track high-value, fishy transactions during elections
- NCLT orders insolvency proceedings against Subhash Chandra
- Income Tax dept starts drive to dispose of appeals, 0.54 million at last count
- Payment of MCA fees –electronic mode-regarding
- Budget '11-12' Parliament Completes Approval Exercise
- Satyam restrained from operating its accounts
- ICICI a foreign firm, subject to FDI norms: Govt
- Maha expects Rs 15 crore entertainment tax revenue from IPL
- CAG blames PMO for not acting against Kalmadi
- No service tax on visa facilitators: CBEC
- Provision of 15-minutes reading and planning time allowance to the candidates of Chartered Accountants Examinations
- Companies Bill to be taken up in Monsoon Session
- File Service Tax Return in time as Maximum Penalty increased 10 times to Rs. 20000

Comments